not... ...but... ...

 Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

                                                                                  生活不是发现自我,生活是创造你自己。——萧伯纳

●  not because …, but because … 是用“not ……, but ……”连接两

个because 引导的原因状语从句,意思是“不是因为……,而是因为 ……”。

这一句式只用作状语。

1)I did it not because I liked it but because I had to do it.

   我做这事不是因为我喜欢它,而是因为我必须做。

2)I criticized him, not because I hate him but because I love him.

   我批评他不是因为我恨他,而是因为我爱他。

3)We were successful not because we were quick-witted but because we persevered.

   我们之所以成功不是因为我们机智聪明,而是因为我们坚韧不拔。

4)You will be left on your own on many occasions, not because Americans are uncaring, but because among themselves, they prefer to do things on their own.

   在许多场合,你会发现自己孤立无援,而这并不是因为美国人不关心别人,而是因为他们之间都喜欢自己的事情自己来办。

5)Reading is fun, not because the writer is telling you something, but because it makes your mind work.

   读书之所以有趣,不是由于作者告诉了你什么,而是由于书本促使你思考。

6)People cry not because love ends, but because it still continues, even if it's over.

   人们伤心,不是因为爱情结束了,而是因为当一切都结束了爱还在。

 

 

△ not because of ……, but because of ……   有时也可连接两个because of 短语。

1)He failed in business not because of misfortune, but because of his own mistakes.

   他生意上的失败不是由于遇到了厄运,而是由于他自己的过错。

2)I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.

   我爱你,不是因为你是一个怎样的人,而是因为我喜欢与你在一起时的感觉。

 

 

● not that …… , but that……  是用“not ……, but ……”连接两个that-clause,意思也是“不是因为……,而是因为……”。这一句式在句中作状语时,相当于 not because …..., but because ……,可以换用。

1)I went back not that it rained, but that I was tired.

    I went back not because it rained, but because I was tired.

   我并不是因为下雨才回来, 而是因为我累了。

2)He gave up the work, not that he disliked it, but that he was unequal to it.

     He gave up the work, not becaue he disliked it, but because he was unequal to it.

    他放弃并不是因为不喜欢这份工作,而是因为无法胜任。

3)He intends to quit the job not that he dislikes it but that he is too old  for it.

   He intends to quit the job not becatse he dislikes it but because he is too old for it.

   他打算辞职,倒不是因为他讨厌工作,而是因为他年纪太大了,不适合该工作了。

 

 

△ 在 not that……, but that …… 之前可以加上 it is ,则成为另一固定句式:It is not that ……, but that ……。

1)It’s not that I don’t like the car, but that I think it is too expensive.

   不是我不喜欢这辆车,而是它太贵了。

2)It is not that I am dissatisfied, but that I have my own buisness to  attend to.

   并不是因为我有不满意之处,而是因为有自己的事情要做。

3)It’s not that he doesn’t need your help, but that he thinks it will be  an inconvenience to you.  

   不是他不需要你帮忙,而是他怕给你带来麻烦。

 

 

△ It is not that ……, but that …… 中的 it is 常看省略,单独用 not that ……, but that ……。 例如:

1)(It is) Not that he is incompetent, but that he lacks experience.

   他并不是不称职,只是缺乏经验。

2)(It is ) Not that the machine is out of order, but that I have not  learned to operate it.

   不是机器出了故障, 而是我还没学会操作。

3)Not that she did not want to please him, but that he is hard to get along with.

   不是她不想取悦于他,而是他太难以相处。

4)Not that I dislike the job, but that I have no time to do it now.

   不是因为我不喜欢那工作,而是因为我无暇顾及。

5)Not that the results of the expoeriment are not reliable, but that much  remains to be perfected.  

  不是实验个结果不可靠,而是还有许多工作有待于完善。

 

 

△ not that ……, but that …… 句式中的 but 后的 that 可以省略。

1)Not that Kity dosen’t want to help you, but (that) it is beyond his power.

   不是Kity不想帮你,而是这超出了他的能力。

2)Not that I do not want to lend you money, but (that) I do not have any money now.

   不是我不肯借钱给你,而是我现在根本就没钱。

 

 

△ not that ……, but that …… 可位于系动词 be 之后,连接两个表语,此时不是表示原因,仅表示“不是……,而是……”的意思

1)The value of marriage is not that adults produce children but that children produce adults.

   结婚的好处并不在于成人可生养孩子,而在于孩子可助人成熟。

2)The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to  begin it. 人生的悲剧不在于其如此短暂,而是在于我们开始生活之前彷徨得太久。

 

更多英语学习资料精华阅读》》http://www.hujiang.com/c/xgn/list/

更多中学新概念英语课程》》http://www.hujiang.com/c/xgn/course/